3 Ways to Clear Debris from an Industrial Fan
Sometimes the most simple things like cleaning get overlooked, potentially leading to many more serious issues. It’s important to properly clean a blower wheel, as material buildup on a wheel can cause vibration and damage your fan. Even “clean air” may contain various particles and debris. A simple cleaning procedure can keep your fan healthy and decrease downtime.
In the above video and the copy below, we share the three ways to answer the question of how to clean a blower wheel. It might seem obvious, but we’ve learned that in industrial fan maintenance, you can’t overstate the obvious. Make sure you follow the proper safety guidelines before doing any type of maintenance.
Answering the Question of How to Clean a Blower Wheel Starts with Access
When the fan is powered off and cooled down, the first thing you need for the cleaning process is access to the wheel. Most ducted fans have an access door, which you will remove to get to the wheel for cleaning.
How to Clean a Blower Wheel: 3 Ways
There are three common ways to safely clean a blower wheel:
- Solvent – A common way is to clean the wheel by hand with a cloth and cleaning solvent. (Note: make sure any solvent fumes are safely and properly ventilated.)
- Air – Compressed air is a great option for lightly soiled wheels.
- Water – If your fan is properly coated or made from non-rusting materials, you can spray off debris with water… If you use this method, be sure to unscrew the drain plug underneath the fan housing and drain off the excess water.
Hear it from an Application Engineer
Those three simple ways can keep your wheel clean and minimize fan vibration. Chet White, Senior Application Engineer / Sales & Marketing Manager, demonstrates how to clean a blower wheel in this 80-second video.
To ask questions, get more details, or discuss your application, reach out and connect with one of our application engineers.
Here are several related posts that might interest you as you think about your application.
- On the Safe Side
- Check It Off. Avoid Downtime.
- How Long Do Industrial Fans Last? Quality, Installation, and Industrial Fan & Blower Maintenance
- Fan Maintenance